The expansion of group methods might be explained by:
• Advantages. Numerous scientific findings revealed the same efficiency of group psychotherapy as individual psychotherapy, even more – one third of researches proved group therapy to be more effective, than individual.
• More agents involved. The processes the group as a whole, multiple interpersonal relationship, showing up more quickly, group leader’s attitude towards the group and other members, the cohesis effect, interpersonal learning possibilities.
• Area of effects becomes wider and encompasses not only identification, clarification and finding new ways of being of individual, but also understanding interpersonal and group processes and dynamics. It helps to improve social and interpersonal functioning, to reveal and develop psychological strength, creativity and hidden possibilities for personal growth.
• Contraindications are seldom. They are evaluated during initial interview. Frequently expressed fears of clients – “I’ll be not able to reveal myself in the eyes of others”- usually in the very first sessions appear to be overestimated; the fears that “everybody will get about the problems I have” are not so very menacing as they seem, because the conductor of the group first of all is preoccupied to observe the members obligations about confidentiality to be obeyed, the members who violated this rule are excluded. Moreover all members are “on the same boat”, encounters the same risk and this consolidates them all. Members of group do not know each other.
• The price is č-ę times lower than in individual settings.
The group usually consists of 6-8 members, the duration of session is 90 min, the frequency 1-2 times per week. The short term group psychotherapy lasts up to one year, the long term – two years or more.
The group psychotherapy services provided:
- Short term psychodynamic groups. Up to 50 sessions. For clients with interpersonal troubles, wishing to get better acquainted with oneself or to reveal hidden personality reassures.
- Specified short term group for clients with panic or anxiety disorders. The group works in cognitive behavioural mode.
- Other specified short term differentiated aim groups – for oncological patients, for women with abuse history, clients in crisis, overcoming mourning etc.
- Group analysis. The long term groups working in psychoanalytic and group analytic mode – “the therapy in the group, through the group, of the group”. For clients with personal disturbances, severe psychological conditions. The conductor – certificated group analyst.